Plenty of Thanks!

So today marks our first Thanksgiving together as man and wife!  Though it definitely was a different vibe for us this year, as neither of our families were in town, and my out-of-control gestational diabetes makes the traditional Thanksgiving dinner limited to turkey only for me.  What's the point without all the goodness of mashed potatoes, stuffing, and pumpkin pie?  Or even a good buttered roll?  Just adding those to my list of things to eat after I pop this kid out - even if its just Boston Market or microwave dinners!  :)  So today we just opted for home made tom kha soup(Thai coconut chicken soup) and a movie date.  I know we're a little childish, but we watched Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Disney's Moana.  I've been saying for years Disney should do something based off of Polynesian mythology - really there are so many great trickster characters, and Maui's a great one. And I love Dwayne the Rock, and thought they did a nice job with a mash-up of different Polynesian islands, instead of singling any particular one out. Fun movie!

One thing is for certain, tradition or no, we do have that thankful spirit right now.  Leading up to our marriage and throughout this pregnancy, I may have had many complications and even many negative, hurtful things said about both of our disabilities or illnesses, but every time I feel my baby kick and every time my husband holds me in my arms I know I wouldn't trade this for the world.  I think back on my old life, when I was deep into my career, before the Fibromyalgia.  Yeah I miss those days sometimes, when I could just go-go-go, work 12+ hours a day and still have an outgoing social life.  But there was always something missing.  Such emptiness and shallow relationships.  So whatever pain I'm in now is fine, I think I can take on anything.  It makes me stronger.  I have my moments of darkness where I feel let down by people I care about, but then I feel my son moving around like a little Tasmanian devil inside my tummy and I feel so happy nothing else matters.

So here we are at 35 weeks!  I feel like a mama hippo at this point, and like my butt is just going to collapse every time I stand up.  I had initially lost around 20lbs during the first 2 trimesters, but in the past month I pretty much gained it back to be around where I started.  Still no maternity clothes at least, so that's one less expense - especially since there's only a couple weeks left to go!  I've had another trip to the ER from abdominal pains - could be complications from the stomach and intestinal surgery I had a few years back - but the baby was fine so the story was the same as
my possible dislocated lower back/pelvis - Sorry mama, tough it out!  Not worth the risk of x-ray or MRI if the baby is ok.  And this little guy seems to be more than ok.  I marvel over that every second of every day.  Amazing how my crappy, falling apart body can keep this little guy so safe and content.  He's starting to feel huge though, so next week we'll be doing another ultrasound to figure out his weight and my doctor thinks we should at least try to get to week 37 before we possibly induce.  As long as he's healthy I'm all for it.  Just in time for Christmas.
Mama hippo, ready to pop out a Tasmanian devil before her butt collapses


In the meantime, we are scrambling!  My mom has to have back surgery so she likely won't be able to come when the baby is here, so we have a lot to do around the house to get ready so we just have everything in line without requiring help.  Not a pretty site, that's for sure.  I've already hurt my back and hips even more and the house is just sitting in chaos, but at least we're making a little progress.  We've managed to get rid of a lot of things and clear out the baby's room somewhat, but there is still a lot to be done.  I'm hoping to take advantage of some of the Black Friday deals online to get some of the things we need for organizing our home and for the baby.  Amazon and Target's baby registry completion discounts have already proven to be very helpful.

Fortunately for us, we have been so blessed when it comes to baby items.  Between the hand-me-downs and gifts, we now have a stroller, car seat, bulk diapers, wipes, clothes and other necessities.  I was able to get a great deal on a Pack-N-Play through Amazon for over $60 off that has a built in bassinet and changer insert, and even a removable bouncer seat with music and vibrations.  We figure we can use this next to our bed for late night feedings until the baby outgrows this and we need to buy a crib that can convert to a toddler bed.

And some of my favorite baby items of all?  Well our dear friends gave us a baby shower a couple weeks ago, and one of the activities was for everyone to decorate little onesies for the baby!  Such a sweet, personal touch.  We have been overwhelmed with love and feelings of thanks - not just for the gifts, but even just the visits and messages and kind words!  I know I don't express those feelings enough because sometimes I'm out of it and numb, just trying to get through the pain.  But damn, I am so happy and thankful to have so many good people in my life, and I'm excited for whatever life has in store for my new little family!
Our kiddo will be rockin some personalized style!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fibro-huh? (Part 2, Coping with Fibromyalgia)

Chicken with Apricots & Pomegranates (Khoreshe Anar)

Dare to be weird!